Rule #1: SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY!
These days, it's hard to imagine a world without the internet. It seems that the age is getting younger and younger that have internet access. Unfortunately, its the children that are the most vulnerable on the internet. As a teacher that is implementing technology into my students' day, I think it is very important that they are educated on how to stay safe. I think making connections with some of the other safety rules, such as "stranger danger" would be a good way to relate the importance of not going somewhere on the internet that they do not have permission to be at. It's good to show them within the confines of the classroom, because there are some safety features in place to keep them from venturing off into cyberspace. I think including internet safety into a general safety unit would be a good way to talk about ways to safe on the internet and why.
Rule #2 Be Original
There is a wealth of information on the internet, and the temptation to take someone else's work is strong. I think promoting original work and encouraging creativity is key in keeping students from copying and pasting. They do need to be aware that doing so is wrong and if they do happen to cut and paste, they will need to know how to credit a source.
Rule #3 Be a good Citizen
I think the social expectations we have face to face should apply to internet expectations. I will make sure to share with the children to be nice to everyone face to face or on the internet. If they can't say it face to face, then it should not be said. It is important that the children are aware that mutual respect applies anywhere even on the internet.
No comments:
Post a Comment